Monday, June 28

Agriculture is my major. What's yours?

This is part of a paper I wrote for a scholarship.



Declaring a major never went easy for me. I had so many possibilities and yet I had to narrow it down to just one. That one major would majorly affect the rest of my career in the future and I wanted to enjoy what I had coming. I trust in the Lord to keep me happy and safe, but the responsibility still rests with me in what path I follow.
Growing up, I got involved in the 4-H program at nine years old. What started out as a small poultry project, turned into a way of life for my family and me. Our livestock become our family and to understand our family, we witnessed the toll agriculture takes on the human body. Our goats were able to produce fresh milk that we could turn into so many different products and give us the satisfaction of knowing we did it ourselves. Our chickens gave us fresh eggs that are so many levels above eggs in the cardboard boxes down the street. Our rabbits gave us manure to place in our vegetable garden, which gave us the opportunity to be self reliant for the dinner table. On top of farm life, the domestic pets within the house provided an unconditional love and support every day. Seeing any of them in pain broke my heart since they constantly healed mine every other day.
I cannot describe the thousands of life lessons my animals have taught me growing up, but I do know there was a change that took place, and I believe it was for the better. As I imagine the animal products in the market today I think back to the spirits that gave them to us. I think back to that chemistry class and see how the enzymes and lipids are so important to our health. I want to end animal cruelty and embrace the most efficient and effective way to become healthier by beginning with the basics. For the first time in history, our nation is overweight and starving at the same time. Being educated in nutrition and agriculture can change that.
The sad part comes to the conclusion that many people live in ignorance of the beauty of agriculture. Milk does not come from the store originally, and neither do the eggs. In fact, the beauty of life and the creations that God has given us play such a crucial part to our survival, and if we rid ourselves of the farm land and knock out small family farms, we’ll lose them forever.
In hopes of having my dream come true by becoming a veterinary technician and educating myself about agriculture, animal science, and nutrition within a bachelor degree, I can make a difference to last a lifetime. I want to change lives through my desires and passions. I want to see this world stay green. I want to see our bodies treated like the temples they are. I want these animals to be cared for correctly. Agriculture is my major. What's yours?

No comments: